There’s something about Genya and Wesleyann’s blog that just draws you in—from their fun bio photos to the warning that their blog contains “large doses of caffeine” (and don’t we all?), you can’t help but want to hang out with these two.
Genya went to college for photography, but she never imagined that she’d become a wedding photographer. After spending some time doing commercial photography, she found her way into weddings and realized that was where she fit.
Genya met Wesleyann at a vendor meeting in Florida that Wesleyann was coordinating. The two hit it off (in part because Wesleyann already felt like she knew Genya through her blog), and this duo went on to grow a bright, shiny and happy photography business together.
A few bits of advice you’ll hear from the ladies of Vue in this interview:
- Be 100% honest with each other.
- Stay true to yourself and let that come through in the work. Don’t deny who you are.
- When choosing images for your blog, only show the images that make you take in a breath or otherwise react.
- You’ll learn the most from your mistakes.
- You should always be learning, growing and moving forward.
- Take time for yourself.
- Value your work.
- Learn to say no.
- Stay positive and focus on what can be.
- Trust your gut.
- Don’t be afraid to be open and reach out to other photographers. There are plenty of weddings to go around. Be friends and learn from each other (you’ll hear a story in this interview about a time when those relationships came in quite handy when another photographer came to the rescue in an otherwise disastrous situation).
- creativeLive Webinars
- Explore different styles (e.g. look at editorial photography)