Emma and Josh Smith from Emma Jane Photography (now Emma + Josh) gave one of the most honest and open interviews to date—from their new adventures in starting over in a new city (they recently moved from Seattle to Los Angeles) to the challenges of staying true to themselves and not budging on the value that they place on their services.
A few thoughts to take away from this interview:
- Don’t expect to go from zero to sixty overnight. It takes time to grow a successful and sustainable business.
- Don’t get down on yourself when it takes time to hit the market that you want.
- Learn to value your work and charge what you’re worth. Remember, this is a business, and you will have expenses to run it legally.
- Become friends with your clients.
- It’s all about the network. Become friends with fellow photographers too.
- There will be challenges, and you’ll want to give up at times, but if you’re doing what you love, you’ll get through the hard times.
- Pinterest (Emma said that she encourages her brides to use this site to share inspiration with her as well—find Emma’s boards here)
- Look through magazines and create a real world inspiration board for shoots
- Tofurious.com has great guidance on pricing
- Love is the Killer App by Tim Sanders (you may remember that the lovely Jill Devriesrecommended this one too)
Check out some awesome work from Emma Jane Photography below, and be sure to visit their blog to see more.