After I talked with Jonathan Canlas a few weeks ago about why he refuses to specialize as a photographer, I thought it would be fun to counter his views with the views of Alicia Caine, a super wiz on branding, pricing and making in rain in the photography business.
Alicia actually just came out with a course on how to take yourself from generalist to specialist as a photographer, and she’s passionate about the power of specializing. In fact, her own specialization was what took her from stay at home mom to full time breadwinner for herself, her husband and their three children (she’s now up to seven kids, and her business has shifted to focus on helping other photographers).
A few topics from today’s show:
- How Alicia found her specialization and why she recommends specialization for other photographers.
- What she would do differently if she was starting her business in today’s market.
- What is specialization versus a category? For example, newborns and weddings are categories, but specializations go even deeper.
- Alicia points out why Jonathan Canlas actually does specialize (she’ll explain how)
- Building sustainability into business.
- Building a brand (branding elements).
You can find more from Alicia through the links below:
- Profit First Photography
- The Photographer’s Pricing System: Get paid what you’re worth for portraits and weddings
- That Thing You Do Course (Going from Generalist to Specialist)
- Alicia’s free ebook: Create Something Bigger
Your Turn to Share!
I’ve set up a call-in line you to call in and have your comments included in future episodes. To share your feedback to this episode, photography questions or your own tips to be featured on the show, call my Google Voice number and record your message: (616) 522-2515
Never Miss an Episode
To get future episodes and other goodies, be sure to subscribe in iTunes, and sign up below: