Derek Cookson left behind a life in IT when he moved from Canada to the U.S. and decided to pursue his passion for photography. Today, he’s bringing the (trademarked) Derek Cookson joy to weddings and family sessions as a full time wedding photographer in the Detroit, Michigan area. I’ve had the pleasure of shooting with Derek—he’s the kind of guy that you want by your side at a wedding.
A few topics from today’s show:
- Standing out from the crowd and selling yourself as a photographer.
- What should you look for in a photography studio space? (And hear how Derek shares his space to make it more affordable)
- Is a storefront photography studio a good idea?
- What’s the benefit of presenting photos in person after the wedding?
- Find out what kind of gear Derek likes to have along with him during weddings and shoots.
Check out Derek’s gorgeous work below, and be sure to visit his website for more.
And to go along with our conversation, Derek was kind enough to share a few examples from his very first wedding. Thanks, Derek!